These are some Republican Romans I was commissioned to paint earlier this year. The make of figure is Newline Designs and although I wasn't overly struck by them at first I have to admit that they painted up really well.
Here are some pics of some simple easy to make ruins for Frostgrave. I made these a couple of days ago and since made loads more in different configurations. They are made from double walled corrugated card from fruit & vegetable boxes obtained from my local Aldi, stone effect wallpaper I bought as a PDF, some snow scatter and mounted on Marley floor tile. All very cheap, very easy to construct and very strong.
These I finished a few days ago and they were posted and with their new owner on Wednesday. I enjoyed painting these and unusually for me I had to use a white undercoat and washes of colour as they had to match in with the rest of the army that had been painted by someone else. I enjoyed painting them and I was particularly happy with how they matched in with the rest of the army.
I have painted 15mm Egyptians many times over the years, but never had the opportunity to paint a fantasy version until recently. These figures were a joy to paint and fairly easy to prep with only a small amount of flash for the most part. The base texture was my own mixture and it was painted with various brown paints, getting lighter each time and finished off with sand coloured paint. I added a few static grass clumps and drybrushed these sand to tie them into the bases better. They were based for Hordes of the Things rules and I would love to say how they fared in battle but unfortunately they were destined for a customer so not mine to play with.
The Mercs, most of them are plastic except for two. The plastic figures were again a pain to clean up, but again like the others I painted the detail came out with the painting. The metal figures were much easier to clean up and look just as good as the plastic figures when painted. All in all I was very happy with the finished results.
Here are the Enforcers, they were an absolute nightmare to assemble, trying to glue together three separate pieces simultaneously with superglue is not fun at all, especially when they don't fit together very well. Again like the Plague the effort was well worth it and they painted up really well. The detail really does come out in the painting and they look as good as any other Sci-Fi figures out there and a lot less expensive than most.
I painted these a few weeks ago but only took the photo's yesterday. To be honest I wasn't overly impressed by these figures when I first saw them as they were covered in fine lines of flash and they didn't look very well detailed at all. Having said that they did paint up very nicely and look very detailed indeed. Even my iffy photography cannot make them look bad. Anyway here are some photo's to show you how they look.
Stephen Wylde BA (hons)